Mahalia Jackson is considered the greatest gospel singer of all time. Her goal was to proclaim God's word through song. She ushered in the Golden Age of Gospel between 1945 and 1965. Jackson was the first female gospel artist to tour Europe. She appeared regularly on television and radio programs and sang for many presidents and heads of state, including the national anthem at John F. Kennedy's inauguration in 1961. At a time when segregation was pervasive in American society, she had great success. She sold an estimated 22 million records, but still had trouble hailing a cab or simply being able to buy something in stores. Her gospel interpretation of Silent Night is still one of the most soulful and impressive versions of the famous Christmas song. The album of the same name is still a classic today and remains unsurpassed.
Mahalia Jackson -
Silent Night - Songs For Christmas
1 x Marbled 180g Vinyl
- Sweet Little Jesus Boy
- A Star Stood Still (Song of The Nativity)
- Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
- Christmas Comes To Us All Once A Year
- Joy To The World!
- Take My Hand Precious Lord [Bonus-Track]
- O Come, All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles)
- O Little Town of Bethlehem
- What Can I Give
- Go, Tell It On the Mountain
- Silent Night, Holy Night
- White Christmas [Bonus-Track]